Wednesday, April 14, 2010

the wednesday dish

All you need is Sea Salt, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, & EVOO

+ a 16 oz bag of frozen green beans.

I discovered this quick and easy alternative to canned greens from my mother. The first time I made them, I was very skeptical as to how I would actually like them. You see, I'm one of those people who does not like crunchy veggies, and I just assumed that these would be. I was wrong. They were simply perfect...perfectly easy to make, and perfectly delicious!!!


not-out-of-a-can green beans


Ingredients: Sea Salt (table salt will work also), Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, and 16 oz bag of frozen green beans. (Note: I usually split the 16oz bag giving me green beans for two meals...I only serve 2 adults and 1 child though.)

Preparation: Pour 1/3 cup of EVOO into your salte pan (you can use more or less EVOO depending on your preference). Turn heat on medium, and pour in your frozen green beans. Take the Garlic and Onion Powder and sprinkle over the beans until they are lightly covered. Do the same with your salt. Cover with lid, so the beans can steam a bit, and stir occasionally. I like my beans a little blackened, and to get them this way I typically cook them right at half an hour. Towards the end of the cook time, you can sprinkle the Garlic and Onion Powder again to help absorb the rest of the oil. Basically, just add the seasonings to taste. Then...ENJOY!

If you have any questions, email me at sweetserendipityblog@yahoo.com.

2 comments:

  1. These look great! We love green beans when they're fresh in the summertime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These sound yummy! I'll have to try this recipe. We are big green bean eaters.....out of the can, believe it or not! My grandmother taught me how to make wonderful green beans. Use 1 can of green beans, 1 tbsp butter, and 1 beef bullion cube. Cook the green beans on high until they start boiling then turn them down to medium heat and cook them until the water is cooked out of them, then add a little more water and let them simmer on low heat. Total cook time should be about 1-2 hrs and they are OUT OF THIS WORLD!!!!

    ReplyDelete