Friday, July 16, 2010

what bugs me

I am terrified of bugs -when they are in my house - and when I'm the only one home to kill them!

With the exception of those teeny spiders you sometimes find in your bathtub and sugar ants that sometimes invade your kitchen, I'm a bug wimp. I cannot stand the thought of stomping or smashing them. Even pesky flies. It just grosses me out. Instead of using a shoe or rolled up newspaper, I prefer a bottle of Hot Shot - squirt the heck out of those nasty bugs and watch them slowly...very slowly as the case was today...die.

Once I'm absolutely certain that the bug is dead I'm faced with the job of disposing the bug body. I seriously think I hate this part more than the killing part. I'll go grab a wad (half a roll) of toilet paper, and stand poised over the dead bug. At this point, I'm praying either the thing will just disappear, my husband will stop by and I can hand the toilet paper to him, or one of my kids will heroically offer to get the bug for me. Never in my lifetime of getting rid of bugs has one of these three things happened.

Instead the scene usually plays out like this: Me standing over the bug with my toilet paper, just staring down offering up the prayer mentioned in the above paragraph. The kids crouched very near the scene looking between me and the bug, and asking "What are you doing mommy?". Me responding "I hate bugs! Jules, do you want to pick it up for me?" Jules replying "No" verbally and with a firm shake of her head and look of disgust that I would even ask her such a question. A few more minutes pass with us looking at the bug, and I FINALLY sike myself up enough to reach down, grab the nasty thing in the toilet paper, and run screaming "I hate bugs!" over and over again as I make my way to the nearest toilet to throw and flush the bug down in one fluid motion.

After all the drama is over, my breathing will return to normal, the kids will start playing again, and I'll wonder to myself...did God give me a little boy, because he knew I needed someone who would want to kill bugs for mommy one day? Must be one of the reasons at least, because Jules and I are just too girlie to kill bugs, and we'll gladly hand the job over to Griff whenever he's ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment