Wednesday, July 14, 2010

the wednesday dish

I tried this recipe for the first time tonight. I paired it with a chicken casserole and deviled eggs. I know there is no picture of my finished product, and this week that is on purpose. When I pulled the pearl onion and broccoli back out of the oven, I thought about grabbing my camera, but to be honest, it wasn't that pretty, so I opted to skip the picture. It was pretty tasty, and definitely a recipe I will make again though. It was a nice twist on plain old broccoli and cheese.

pearl onion broccoli bake
Ingredients:
  • 2 14oz packages frozen broccoli cuts
  • 4 cups frozen pearl onions
  • 1/2 cup butter, divided
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon pepper
  • 2 cups milk
  • 6 oz cream cheese, cubed
  • 2 cups bread crumbs
  • 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Preparation:

  1. In a large saucepan, cook the broccoli in 1 inch of water until almost tender; drain. Cook pearl onions in 1 inch of water until almost tender, drain.
  2. In a large saucepan, melt 1/4 butter; stir in flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; stir in cream cheese until smooth and blended.
  3. Place broccoli and onions in creased 9x13 baking dish. Add sauce and gently stir to coat. Toss bread crumbs and cheese together, and sprinkle on top of broccoli and onion mixture. Pour remaining, melted butter evenly on top.
  4. Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until topping is golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment