Wednesday, June 9, 2010

the wednesday dish

I love eating chicken pot pie! I always have. Patrick makes a delicious one with homemade crust that he basket weaves (inside joke between the two of us) on top. It's a Paula Dean recipe, I think. Anyway, it's very good. But...that's not the chicken pot pie recipe I use! Seriously, do you think I have the time to make homemade crust when I have two kids running loose in my house? Of course not. So I found an easier and quicker pot pie that is still pretty stinking delicious!!!

My Chicken Pot Pie
Ingredients:
  • 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 medium onion, finely chopped
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1 1/2 cup chicken broth
  • 2 tablespoons flour
  • 12 ounce bag frozen vegetables (peas, carrots, green beans, & corn)
  • 2 cooked chicken breast halves, cubed
  • 3 small potatoes, peeled, cubed & boiled*
  • package 2 count pie crust

*Optional ingredient. I've made this recipe with and without potatoes.

Preparation:

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Heat 1 TBS evoo in medium saucepan. Add onions, garlic, salt and pepper, cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are translucent. Stir in 1 cup broth. In a small bowl, whisk together remaining 1/2 cup broth and flour, and gradually whisk into mixture in saucepan. Bring to a boil, still whisking. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes. Add frozen vegetables and bring mixture back to a boil. Add chicken and potatoes to boil.

In a glass pie dish place 1 of the pie shells. Press firmly forming the shell to the dish. Pour pot pie mixture into pie shell, and cover with other pie shell. Seal the edges of the pie shells together with fork, and then cut slits in the middle.

Bake 25 minutes or until golden and bubbling.

No comments:

Post a Comment